Translation of finish - Dictionary : English-Cherokee
Verb conjugation Top
- finishes: end, completion, conclusion; final stage; polish, final coating on a surface; final details; something which completes or perfects
- finishes, finished, finishing: terminate, end; be terminated; bring to an end; destroy; defeat; complete, perfect; add the finishing touches
- (n) It was a very close finish (= end to the race), but I just managed to win. Most political commentators are predicting a close finish in this election. The project has been very badly organized from start to finish (= all the way through) . Both sides in the civil war are bent on a fight to the finish (= they intend to fight until one side has been defeated) . The finish of a material such as wood is the condition of the surface of the material. Look at the lovely shiny finish on that piano. A finish is also the last covering of varnish, polish or paint, that is put onto something. Even a clear finish will alter the colour of wood slightly, usually making it darker. These cupboards are available in a range of finishes.
- Used in the context of general equities.
- The final coat of paint applied to a vehicle.original finish.
- The overall look of a vehicle so that the paint, for instance, is evenly applied, there are no bare spots, etc. Usually this word is used in the expression "fit and finish."
- Surface refinement as in "smooth finish."
- A tasting term. It refers to the taste that lingers on your palate after a puff. Mild cigars do not have much finish, either in terms of length or complexity. But stronger, more full-bodied cigars have distinctive flavors that linger for a while.